Wednesday, August 24, 2011

empanadas!

Ever since my time in Argentina, I've been searching for an authentic Argentine recipe for savory empanadas.  I stumbled upon an excellent one from LAYLITA   You can make these empanadas with pre-made tapas that you can buy from latina markets, but I didn't want to search and search for something that might not exist in Auburn.  So, I opted to make the dough myself.  I feel like the proportions were off a bit.  The dough didn't yeild as much as it said it would.  I doubled the recipe and got about 35 empanadas.  The meat, however, doesn't need to be doubled.  I learned that the hard way and ended up with a big bowl of leftovers!!  
  The empanadas took a long time to prepare from scratch, but the product was delicious.  I'd say one of the most authentic recipes I've tried.  You should give 'em a whirl!  
   I did all the cooking, but my wonderful husband showed up in time to put them together for me while I was rolling out the dough.  He did a superb job, don't you think?!  The empanadas were a hit with our young marrieds group here in Auburn!  The surest way to make friends quickly is to introduce them to Argentine delicacies:) 

saute the meat with onions, paprika, chile powder and cumin

Chop the olives (you can use slices too)

Hard boiled egg

put it in the middle

squish the edges with a fork to seal


then start rolling- pinch by pinch

here's the pre-baked product

And the finished product


1 comment:

  1. YUM! Looks delicious! You should teach me and Kels at Labor Day Olympics!

    -Meg

    ReplyDelete